I don’t know how you feel, but I think the world is ready for a new and improved iPhone. Yes, it was the best phone that 2008 brought out but with the likes of the Palm Pre, HTC Touch Diamond2 and HTC Magic about to hit town, the title for Best Phone of 2009 may just go elsewhere.
As loathe as I am to post a link from Mr Gadget (bad publicity will do that to your business), almost every reason on this list can be fixed via a software update;
- Turn-by-turn – this is fixable via software.
- Larger capacity/removable battery – obviously, this isn’t fixable via software.
- Cut and paste – this is also fixable via software.
- Bluetooth file transfers – this is only half-fixable via software, AFAIK. Needs some sort of blutooth protocol stack.
- Multitasking/background notifications – this is fixable via software.
- Voice recognition – fixable via software, although I don’t know why you’d want this as a feature. Bloody MS users.
- Bluetooth A2DP – provided the hardware is there, this is also fixable via software. We’ll see this feature when Apple release a set of stereo bluetooth headphones.
So folks, what does the next-gen iPhone actually need, in terms of hardware? Shout out in comments.